The U.N. Security Council will hold closed-door consultations on Thursday to discuss a possible condemnation of North Korea's latest ballistic missile launches, U.N. diplomats said.
The request for a special session on North Korea came from the United States, nuskin hk
council diplomats told Reuters on condition of anonymity on Wednesday. The meeting of the 15-nation council was scheduled for 4:30 p.m. EDT (2030 GMT) on Thursday.
The U.N. mission of Luxembourg, which holds the presidency of the Security Council this month, announced on its Twitter feed that U.N. political affairs chief Jeffrey Feltman will brief council members on developments on the Korean peninsula during the session.
In what appeared to be a show of defiance, North Korea fired two medium-range Rodong ballistic missiles into the sea at 2:35 a.m. Japan and Korea time (1735 GMT Tuesday), both Tokyo and Seoul said.
North Korea's first firing in four years of mid-range Rodong missiles that can hit Japan followed a series of short-range rocket launches over the past two months.
In Seoul, South Korean Defense Ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok called the launches "a clear violation of U.N. Security Council resolutions and a grave provocation against South Korea and the international community". South Korea is a temporary member of the Security Council.
U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon's press office issued a statement condemning the latest missile launch.
"Such launches are contrary to building trust in the region nu skin
. The Secretary-General urges the DPRK (North Korea) to cease its ballistic missile activities and focus, together with other countries concerned, on the dialogue and diplomacy necessary to maintain regional peace and security," the statement said.
Council diplomats said Washington was expected to propose a Security Council statement that would condemn the missile firings. It was not clear whether China, Pyongyang's protector on the council, would support such a condemnation, though it has been willing to back rebukes of Pyongyang in the past.
Deputy U.S. State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said on Tuesday, "We are closely coordinating with our allies and partners, including in the U.N. Security Council, to take the appropriate measures in response to this latest provocation and to address the threat to global security posed by the DPRK's nuclear and ballistic missile programs."
There is also a possibility, the diplomats said, of the Security Council's North Korea sanctions committee eventually expanding the current U.N. blacklist to include additional North Korean entities involved in Pyongyang's missile program Glass House
Expansion of the blacklist would take more time and was not expected to be decided on Thursday, the diplomats said.
"The council should condemn North Korea and begin looking at additional measures against the North Koreans," a Western diplomat said.
According to diplomats, ballistic missile launches are banned under U.N. Security Council resolutions adopted in response to North Korea's 2006 and 2009 nuclear tests and subsequent rocket firings. The council expanded its existing sanctions after Pyongyang's February 2013 atomic test.
The council imposed a series of U.N. sanctions on Pyongyang that target the country's missile and nuclear programs and attempt to punish North Korea's reclusive leadership through a ban on luxury goods.
- 2014/03/28(金) 12:17:52|
- nu skin
A former Ohio police captain who spent nearly 15 years in prison before being exonerated in his ex-wife's killing could be headed back behind bars after an appeals court ruled that a judge was wrong to free him.
The ruling Wednesday comes a little more than a year after former Akron officer Douglas Prade was freed by a now-retired Summit County judge when new testing of a bite mark cast doubt on his conviction cardinal manchester
. Prade had been serving a sentence of life in prison with parole eligibility in 26 years.
Following the ruling, another judge ordered Prade to appear in court Thursday morning so she could decide whether he should be sent back to prison or remain free while he appeals the court ruling.
Prade was released in January 2013, after Judge Judy Hunter decided there was convincing evidence of his innocence after DNA tests of the bite mark on Dr. Margo Prade's lab coat showed the DNA did not match that of her former husband.
On Wednesday, Ohio's 9th District Court of Appeals said the DNA testing only raised more questions than answers and Prade's original conviction was based on overwhelming circumstantial evidence.
"Without a doubt, Prade was excluded as a contributor of the DNA that was found in the bite mark section of Margo's lab coat," the ruling said. "The DNA testing, however, produced exceedingly odd results."
Each sample produced completely different results, the appeals court said. "While it is indisputable that there was only one killer, nu skin
at least two partial male profiles were uncovered within the bite mark," the ruling said.
After the ruling, Summit County Prosecutor Sherri Bevan Walsh sought a warrant to have Prade returned to prison. The prosecutor's office said it didn't know where he is currently living.
"In order to be exonerated, Prade and his attorneys needed to show clear and convincing evidence of his innocence - not simply create doubt," Walsh said. "They failed."
Prade's attorney did not return a message seeking comment.
Prade, who has maintained his innocence, was convicted in 1998 of shooting his 41-year-old ex-wife, a family practitioner, inside her van on the parking lot of her Akron office. There were no witnesses and no fingerprints, and no gun was found after the November 1997 shooting.
A test of the lab coat fabric showed it contained at least two and as many as five DNA profiles and none matched the former police captain's DNA.
A Summit County assistant prosecutor told the appeals court in August that the findings showed a possibility that the bite mark evidence was contaminated, perhaps before Prade was convicted and sentenced.
"The only absolute conclusion that can be drawn from the DNA results, however, is that their true meaning will never be known," the 71-page appeals court ruling said.
Prade's attorney said at the August hearing that new tests based on improved technology found only that the DNA came from a male, but not Prade.
Last month, Prade filed a lawsuit in federal court against current and former police officers, claiming he was framed.
He said after his release that he wanted to spend time with grandchildren he had never met and work with the Ohio Innocence Project, the group that helped free him, g-suite cardinal
on cases of wrongfully convicted inmates.
"I'm just a jumble of emotions right now," he said then.
- 2014/03/21(金) 17:12:42|
- g-suite in oldham